Monday, February 12, 2007

Freedom of Speech


Did you watch the Grammys last night? Child, the Dixie Chicks rocked it. I was so proud of them. Girlfriends won a total of 5 Grammys and captured the top three awards: Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Album of the Year. I mean, dang! Their song “Not Ready to Make Nice,” umm, umm, umm. That song is good (in my Sexual Chocolate/Coming to America voice.) Basically, the song says “I’m NOT sorry” in response to the uproar caused in 2003 when the group’s feisty lead singer, Natalie Maines, made a sort of antiwar comment to London concertgoers: “Just so you know, we’re ashamed the president of the United States is from Texas.” They are from Texas! You know the rednecks were mad. But death threats? Wasn’t member Emily Robison pregnant? Is it that serious? Who is reeeally proud of Bush? Especially now.

Bashing Bush is not what this entry is about. It’s just amazing how people will turn their backs on you and will try to shut you down just because you don’t follow the rest of the group or because so don’t do status quo. People were canceling tour dates and really messing with their money. I mean, why have the constitutional right of Freedom of Speech anyway? This is an old debate. ‘You can speak your mind, but just not against The Man or anyone of power.’ I mean, even in the New York Times today the title read “Defiant Dixie Chicks Are Big Winners at the Grammys” Defiant? Yada, yada, yada, bite me. Each time they won, Maines had a sarcastic remark to make; antagonizing the haters. I just smiled.

We as Americans need to get our minds right. We are more concerned with who is Anna Nicole Smith’s baby-daddy than with the fact that not all children in America have healthcare; that most of the Katrina victims STILL don’t have homes; that our public school system sucks (If you watched the Grammys, then you saw the public school students rip that a wonderful duet thanks to their Grammy endorsed music program) and whether or not we are ready to have a Black Man as President or a White Woman (and really listen to what they stand for, not just because they are Black or Female.) Don’t get me wrong, I like the glitz, glamour and gossip too, but all that mess isn’t what defines me. I’m not perfect and at times I need to get my mind right about certain things, but in general, making a Dixie Chick statement won’t make me stick my head in the sand. How many of us just want to make nice??
Until next time...
Be Seen at the Top!

No comments: